Monday, February 11, 2013

Book 6 and Book 28: My Life as a White Trash Zombie AND Even White Trash Zombies Get the Blues

This just felt like it needed to be read. Sometimes, I don't ask why, and the title is just so kick-ass. It's like some twisted movie pitch. The book itself was good, about what I expected. Easy page turner, not needing a lot of concentration. Public transportation consumption seems in order. It's basically a mystery, but the pacing is good with some pretty great moments (a lot to do with the sense of smell) along the way. Overall, quite enjoyable and I'm very much looking forward to the next one. On a side note, I think this is what they call Urban fantasy. I'm not sure the progenitor (or if there really is one), but I seem to be reading a lot of books like this. Maybe it's because the first one I encountered is the Dresden books, so they all seem a bit like Harry Dresden. Something mysterious is out there stalking or otherwise threatening the main character, main character must use the strange and sometimes macabre tools at his/her disposal, solved mystery and saves self. Most of them are written more like Young Adult in terms of sophistication, but they are enjoyable page turners nonetheless. Personally, I enjoy them, but I can't really take them too seriously.

Edit:
Threw down the sequel in a couple of days.  Hugely satisfying.  Angel's progression is fantastic as she starts to really understand her new world.  And plenty of side stories to keep me hungry for the next installment.  I suspect that there will be a third one added here eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment