Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Book 13: The Great Gatsby

I'm not sure I've ever actually read The Great Gatsby even though I know that I was assigned it at some point during my school career.  After seeing the trailers for Baz Luhrman's upcoming film adaptation, I figured it was time to finally read it for real.  And I found it extremely enjoyable.  Themetically pitch perfect, well written, yet never boring.  As far as so-called great novels go, it is extremely accessible even though it's around 80 years old.  I'm surprised whenever I go to good reads on a book like this because the trashers get much higher billing than they should.  Sure, not every book is for everyone, but if you like solid paced plotting, thematic richness, and historic perspective, The Great Gatsby is awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment